As part of the Los Angeles Conservancy’s Curating the City: Wilshire Boulevard event, the Modern Committee will re-open the long-shuttered googie-style Johnie’s Coffee Shop for one day only!
Designed by famed L.A. architects Armet & Davis, it first opened in 1955 as Romeo’s Times Square. By 1957 it had become Ram’s and by 1966 Johnie’s. Johnie’s closed in 2000.
Today Johnie’s is one of the last remaining googie coffee shops in Los Angeles.